Monday, July 25, 2011

Teething, Tears, and Grace

It's been five weeks since Jasper was born.  It would be easy to just ooh and aah over pictures
See?

But no, I actually want to write :)
Nothing really deep, just the musings of a new mom of two. And mostly just an update of the Jones family.

Jasper is actually sleeping rather well.  He, of course still wakes up at night, but already has a fairly predictable pattern.  By 8pm he is usually down for the night and wakes up between midnight and 2.  So for the most part, he is technically sleeping through the night. (5 hours is considered sleeping through the night) and wakes up 2-3 times per night.  My exhaustion comes and goes.  But overall I'm feeling really well.

I am having to learn, however, how to give my self grace.  I find myself getting frustrated (usually only at myself) that my house isn't running how I would like it.  Routines have been shot, laundry and dishes are often in a state of chaos, and if we are lucky the living room is picked by the time we go to sleep but is in a state of disarray within a half hour of Zeke being awake.  I couldn't tell you the last time I worked on a meal plan, let alone even looked at my household notebook.
And then I have to remind myself, I had a baby.  Only 5 weeks ago!  We are currently working on getting back into a normal routine, the rest will follow.  I need to give myself grace. 

The only down side is Zeke has had a little bit of a difficult time knowing what to expect.  The great thing is he loves his brother!  We are having to just help him learn to love his brother gently. :) My poor little man (Zeke) has had a rough weekend.  He's teething and we think he might be lactose intolerant.  I'll spare you the details of why we think that.  Thankfully he likes rice milk.  He is also learning boundaries and how to listen.  So some days I feel like I'm constantly saying, "That's not for Zeke" "That's not fun"  "That's an ouchie" "That's yucky" or "Please don't climb".  I try not to say no all day long, but sometimes I feel like a broken record.  There have been tears, sometimes on both our parts. 

But even with the hard days I am loving getting to be here watching my little boys grow and learn.  Even if it feels too fast

1 comment: